Sunday, March 27, 2011

Fear of Faucets

We have a kitchen faucet that's driving us nuts. If you turn it on full it works fine but splashes all over the place. If you want to run it slowly, say to rinse a glass, it turns itself off within seconds.

As soon as this began happening, I called the manufacturer's customer service desk and without any fuss they sent me the parts they thought would fix the problem. They even said it was a simple task.

Well, the replacement parts have been sitting on my desk for weeks now. I just haven't had the courage to tackle the repair job.

I'm not even a minor league do-it-yourselfer. And plumbing terrifies me. For one, like most average householders I don't own the correct tools needed for plumbing repairs. For reasons known only to the plumbing industry all the pipes and assorted connectors require specific tools to loosen, take apart, replace and put back together again. The wrenches have names I've never heard of and wouldn't know how to use anyway.

The fears mount as you actually try to loosen a piece. Will I break it? Even though I turn off the water before doing anything, will that really prevent a flood? Will I be able to reassemble the unit? Since I'm always dropping something, what if I lose a piece? I'm sure the part would have a name and I'm just as sure I wouldn’t know it. It wouldn't be the first time I went to a supply house and stumbled through a description of what I was trying to replace.

All that said, this may be the week I finally tackle the finicky faucet. With luck (and my plumber on speed dial) we will prevail.

No comments:

Post a Comment