Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Day That Got Away (TDTGA)

My wife had an appointment to have her nails done this afternoon, a process that usually takes her out of the house for about an hour and a half. I planned to use that time toward finishing the book I'm reading. It's due at the library in two days. I never turned a page.

Here's why (if you're interested). First, I went on line to get directions to a motor vehicle office my wife wants to go to Thursday to renew her driver's license. That took a few minutes.

Then I had to finish today's crossword puzzle. Another few minutes (or more, I'm not that swift). Then I had to take the laundry out of the washing machine, put it in the dryer and an hour later, take it out and fold it. I actually like doing that.

In between laundry duty I read the paper. I read it back to front, which is a habit I developed years ago. I check the TV listings first to see if anything is worth DVR'ing. I leave the front section for last. That's where the bad news is. I also check the editorial and op-ed pages to see if I agree with anything there.

Then the mail arrived bringing two colorful brochures from Tauck touting wondrous river trips, one through France and the other through Costa Rica and the Panama Canal. Definitely required browsing and mulling.

By this time my wife returned from her nail appointment and we discussed the two potential trips. Probably neither. She has her eyes on a different destination. Next thing we know we're both napping sitting on the couch. When we roused ourselves it was cocktail time, followed shortly thereafter by supper. I still hadn't cracked the book.

Someone asked me recently how I spend my time. I don't dare try to explain.

Muddling, definitely, muddling with an occasional attempt at reading a book. Hurry up, dummy, it's due in two days!

No comments:

Post a Comment