Friday, August 19, 2011

Seeking Speed

I'm conducting an experiment. I deleted more than a hundred, probably more than 200 entries from my C/Drive this afternoon. I'm trying to see if that will speed up the responsiveness of my PC.

True, it's nine years old and its memory and hard drive are ancient by today's standards. I know this because I am eyeing a laptop that has 6GB of memory compared to my measly 256MB and a 640GB hard drive compared to my 60GB.

Am I in the dark ages of PC'dom or what? Well, I know I am and I'm working on it.

So what will I do when I upgrade to this whiz-bang, speedy computer. Probably the same things I do now: use it for email, blogging, video calls to my family in Israel, etc.

You're now asking the same question my wife asks: So what do you need a laptop for?

If you are Muddling Marv in the Modern World you should at least be part of the modern world. No? Test it out, see what it's like? I might even like it. Up to a point, that is.

Smart phones, apps, e-readers, et al, still seem way down the road. I haven't started the car yet, but I have an idea where I'm going. Slowly, of course, as befits a muddler.

No comments:

Post a Comment