Saturday, September 24, 2011

Bridge Brain

It's a condition brought on by trying to learn bridge at an advanced age. My wife and I took up an offer by the Essex County Bridge Club for six free lessons. We've taken three and our homework is starting to boggle our brains.

Never mind what “convention” (I think that's the word) they use to teach bridge here. You still have to count points and learn how to bid and respond. It's hard to remember all the combinations of points and numbers of cards in your hand to do either. That's about where we're up to.

But we've decided to work at it. We either laugh hysterically at our own stupidity or start to raise our voices when trying to explain something in the lesson book to the other.

I don't know how many times I've said: “Wait a minute, I'm trying to understand what this means. Help me here.” Sometimes I get a blank look when I'm trying to explain something I DO understand. When the light dawns, we laugh and move on.

Did I say this was “FUN?” Well, believe it or not it is. I'm told it's good to exercise the brain by learning something new. They didn't say it would hurt.

Is there an ace (four points!) bandage for a brain sprain?

No comments:

Post a Comment