Thursday, September 22, 2011

What's In Your Google?

I'm thinking of having a Googlectomy. Not that I don't use Google. It is my home page and it does host my blog. It's just that I'm getting tired of the media cooing and gooing (googling?) over every new gizmo the Googlites come up with.

Today's media gushing was over Google Wallet. It's an app to your smart phone that acts as your credit card. It's supposed to save you all the hard work of taking the card out of your wallet and signing a credit card receipt. Wow! How many hernias will that prevent?

The Wallet is a free Google app which, at the moment has limited exposure. I'm sure it will be ubiquitous in no time. Well, some time. It has to sign up many more merchants and many more mobile phones that will run it. Early adapters will no doubt be flipping over Wallet.

Not here. So far these old bones have no trouble extracting a credit card from my leather wallet and signing a receipt. In fact, my wife, who saves every store and credit card receipt we get (in case of errors or returns), surely would not be happy with Google Wallet.

Not only wouldn't she trust it, she'd want that piece of paper that says she bought something that day and how much she paid for it. Then it would go into her files, which is her version of Google Search.

That's about as geeky as we get.

No comments:

Post a Comment