Friday, September 23, 2011

Under Treatment

I've joined that vast army of men of a certain age who have contracted prostate cancer. I started radiation treatments for it this week. I've taken three of 44 scheduled doses. I feel fine and the treatments are brief and painless and given at a great facility 10 minutes from home.

I found out about the condition in a circuitous way. My orthopedist sent me for an MRI of my hip, which had been bothering me. Turned out the hip was OK but the person who read the MRI (bless him or her) saw something on the prostate that needed checking. So my urologist checked and here we are.

I've scheduled the treatments at 4 pm. each day so as not to interfere with my golf or tennis games or our bridge lessons. Or any of our other normal daytime activities. So far it's working out well.

My biggest problem is the diet the oncologist wants me on. I'm supposed to eat gas-free foods. Intestinal gas blocks the radiation from reaching the prostate and when I get on the table and they spot gas, I have to get off, walk around and get rid of it before they can proceed. That happened to me the first two days and I actually felt guilty about it. Like I had failed to do my homework or something

But today was a perfect day. No gas, a smooth treatment and home for a welcomed glass of scotch. (I can have that on the weekends since the treatments are Monday through Friday).

Relatives, friends and acquaintances who have gone through this have offered encouragement and good wishes. I thank them and muddle on.

By they way, if you're interested in knowing what foods cause gas, just Google “gassy foods.” You'll get a belly full.

No comments:

Post a Comment