Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Muddler's Progress

With apologies to John Bunyan, author of The Pilgrim’s Progress, I’m reporting today that I took a few more steps from the old world toward the modern one by eliminating some of the leftover issues I wrote about last week.


Ben, my grandson tech support guy, helped me eliminate the need to enter a password every time I opened this computer.


I still do not get Outlook Express on this unit but since I installed Microsoft Office 2010, I get something called Outlook which looks different but does accept email. Here’s the catch. What I get via Outlook doesn't appear in Outlook Express on my old PC.  And vice versa. Does the later version pre-empt the older version. And why don’t my emails appear simultaneously on my Verizon Webmail page?


Quite by accident I just discovered that I can make the print larger while typing and reading. However, since it was an accident I don’t know how I did it. But I’d like to, since the default font size in too small for me.


And now for the most important new development: Thanks to my wife, I can now print wirelessly from the laptop to the printer. What did she do to solve this perplexing dilemma? She said: “Why don’t you read the printer manual?”


Does Man stop and ask for directions when lost? Does Man attempt to fix household appliances or plumbing mishaps he knows nothing about? Who has not?  Read the Manual? Ha!


Swallowing pride, I read the printer manual, followed the instructions for enabling the printer to be wireless, and lo and behold, it works.


The proof is in the printing.

No comments:

Post a Comment