Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I've Got Mail!

It was an email from Reed Hastings, the co-founder of Netflix. I don't know the man but I've been a Netflix subscriber for many years so I suppose that's how he got my email address.

Turns out it was a long-winded letter explaining their rationale for separating the DVD disc and streaming video services and charging separately for each. Even though I had bought a Blu-ray disc player for the express purpose of sampling streaming video, my wife and I were appalled at the poor selections available. So it was a no-brainer to quickly cancel the streaming part of our subscription.

Obviously I was not alone in my unhappiness at this Netflix corporate decision. I read today that the company has received more than 17,000 comments so far from disgruntled customers like myself. I didn't bother to comment on their blog page because I prefer to comment on my own blog.

We all have our own reasons to be unhappy, of course, but mine are simple: too much money for too little choice.

There's no sense chewing a rug over this. We'll all move on in our own ways and Netflix will muddle through this crisis of disaffection.

Welcome to my world, Reed.

No comments:

Post a Comment